Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Memento Mori: remember that you are mortal.


Today I visited the website of Kako Ueda, which you can find here:
http://www.kakoueda.com

I won't tell you what I thought of this highly skilled artist's work, you can go see it and judge its value for yourself. My purpose is much more personal and of a deeper level of contemplation.

I am thinking about my own mortality.

I want to touch and be touched by those around me. I want to experience joy and for those around me to experience it with me. I want to know another and be known by that being in return. I want to go all the way - I want our minds and bodies to indivisibly become one, at least for a little while. I want to breathe as one with another.

When I am gone I want the world to forget me. I am myself not at all important to the world, but I do think it's possible that some ideas I can share are important. My highest achievement would be a great quote - an idea -  that is remembered and attributed to anonymous.

As a person, I want to be remembered only by those within my closest social circle. I want them to remember me fondly but to go on with their lives with laughter and hope for their own endless tomorrows. If there can be more, I will be there waiting for their arrival.

We have so little time here. There's no time for sadness or regret. There is only now. The infinite present.

And that's how I want to start...