Thursday, February 19, 2009

GOP: Obstruct, Obstruct, Obstruct!

Federal GOP:


California GOP:



------

I am not a Democrat. I am not a Republican. But I NEVER vote for Republicans. Not ever.

The GOP is ideologically blinkered and does not in any way represent my interests. And I doubt very much that they either do or even can substantively represent 99% of the people of the United States. The GOP represents the top 1% elite members of our society and them alone.

Maybe they don't represent your interests either. Don't be fooled by "fundy" issues like abortion and other Christian-right issues. You can go hang as far as the GOP is concerned. You will never get your agenda passed. Concentrate on the actual political and economic issues, religious beliefs are best handled on a household by household basis. Your beliefs in the nature of the divine are yours alone and the idea that you will get everyone to agree with you is disrespectful of the rights of others.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. You might disagree with that second point, but I defy anyone who has paid attention to the activities of the GOP over the last 50 years to dispute that last point. In short, it's a fact.

I consider the GOP the party of irrelevancy. This new era of obstruction strikes me as pointedly un-american in tone. It's as if the GOP wants to quit the sandbox and take all of its toys home with them - your toys too, if you let them get away with it.

Here's an idea:
Don't!