Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cenk Uygur: The Problem with Obama's Speech

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/the-problem-with-obamas-s_b_281665.html

In his analysis, Uygur cites this portion of the speech:

Obama: It is only one part of my plan, and should not be used as a handy excuse for the usual Washington ideological battles. To my progressive friends, I would remind you that for decades, the driving idea behind reform has been to end insurance company abuses and make coverage affordable for those without it. The public option is only a means to that end - and we should remain open to other ideas that accomplish our ultimate goal.

What has to be noticed by anyone actually looking at those words is that Obama is pointedly re-framing health care reform as merely correcting the abuses of the private insurance industry. As if we all wanted private health insurance - NOT!

Obama is really out to lunch on this one. I NEVER wanted a mere band-aid on private health insurance. I don't want to fix it. I don't want to buy it. I don't want to be forced to buy it or face a fine. I don't want the private health insurance industry to gain millions of new customers that can't afford their weak tea bullshit.

Seriously, what the fuck is this? If that's Obama-care, he can fucking keep it.

Single-payer or nothing. Truly.

Let's put the U.S. health insurance industry in its grave.